These beautiful chartreuse green socks knit using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran are a very quick project. The yarn and finished socks are very soft and gorgeous to wear. Cashmerino Aran socks are perfect for cosy bed socks in the cold weather or for wearing while curled up on the sofa reading a great book.
- 2 x 50 gram balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran – Colour 502 Chartreuse
- 4.5 mm double pointed needles (dpn’s)
- tapestry needle
- 5 stitches / 2.5cm (1 inch).
double pointed needle(s) – dpn(s); stitch(es) – st(s); knit – k; purl – p; knit two stitches together – k2tog; yarn over – yo; slip slip knit – ssk; purl two stitches together – p2tog; through back loop – t/l;
- Cast on 40 sts using 4.5 mm don using the long tail cast on or a different stretchy cast on.
- Join into the round as you knit the first round – 10 sts on each needle.
- Knit 13 rounds of k2, p2 ribbing.
- Knit 25 rounds.
- Then knit across 10 stitches on needle 1, turn.
After finishing the leg you’ll be working the heel flap over half of the total number of stitches, working in rows rather than rounds.
On completion of the 25th round of the leg, turn and start the heel flap on a purl row.
- Row 1: (sl 1, p1) 10 times
- Row 2: sl 1 purl wise, k19
- Repeat rows 1 and 2 nine times more. A total of 20 rows.
Turn the Heel
- Row 1: sl 1 purl wise, p10, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 2: sl 1, k3, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 3: sl 1, p4 , p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 4: sl 1, k5, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 5: sl 1, p6, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 6: sl 1, k7, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 7: sl 1, p8, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 8: sl 1, k9, ssk, k1, turn. (12 stitches)
- Set up Round: Pick up and knit 12 stitches along the edge of the heel flap.
- Knit across the 20 instep stitches.
- Pick up and knit 12 stitches along the edge of the heel flap. Then knit across the first 6 stitches of the heel.
- This is the starting point for the following rounds.
- Before you start the next round, slip the other 6 heel stitches onto needle 1. Needles 1 and 4 should have 18 stitches on each. Needles 2 and 3 should have 10 stitches on each.
- Round 1: k6, (k1 tbl) 12 times, k20, (k1 tbl) 12 times, k6
- Round 2: k
- Round 3: Needle 1: k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; Needles 2 and 3: k; Needle 4: k1, ssk, k to end of needle.
- Round 4: k
- Repeat rounds 3 and 4 until there are 10 stitches on each needle.
- Knit 20 rounds
- Round 1: Needles 1 and 3: k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; Needles 2 and 4: k1, ssk, k to end of needle.
- Round 2: k
- Repeat rounds 1 and 2 until there are 4 sts on each needle. (16 stitches).
- Making sure that the stitches toe aligns with the heel, slip the stitches from needle 4 onto needle 1 and the stitches from needle 3 onto needle 2. 8 stitches on each needle.
- Graft the toe stitches using Kitchener Stitch.